About the Tenleytown Historical Society
What We Do
The Tenleytown Historical Society was incorporated in the District of Columbia in November 1988 to encourage architectural, cultural, and historic preservation and to educate members of the community about the value of protecting and preserving DC history.
It was, and continues to be, the Society’s practice to work with other like-minded organizations and individuals and public entities to ensure that the city of Washington, particularly the area in and around Tenleytown (including Friendship Heights, American University Park, Armesleigh Park, Wakefield, Mount Airy, North Cleveland Park) retains its historic fabric.
The Internal Revenue Service has designated Tenleytown Historical Society a 501(c) (3) organization. Dues and contributions paid to the Society are tax-deductible.
The Tenleytown Historical Society is operated completely by volunteers. We welcome new volunteers and contributions.
THS Board Members
- Farleigh Earhart
- Carolyn Long
- Jane Waldmann
- Ken Faulstich
- Andrea Ferster
- Susan Jaquet
- Mary Alice Levine
Images on this site have been graciously donated by the following sources.
- Tenleytown, DC - Country Village Into City Neighborhood
Judith Beck Helm
Copyright, Judith Beck Helm
Published by Tennally Press
- Anne Adams
- Farleigh Earhart
- Private Collection of Judy Holzwart
- Carolyn Long
- Diane Tamayo
- Paul Williams
- Tenleytown Historical Society
- Lena Frumin Collection
The Tenleytown Historical Society acknowledges with thanks the many people who have contributed to this website, particularly:
Judith Beck Helm, Tenleytown historian, for her invaluable research and photographs. Her book, Tenleytown, DC: Country Village into City Neighborhood, remains the only comprehensive history of Tenleytown.
Dorothy Biard, Frank Haendler, and Kim Williams for research on Grant Road Historic District.
Caran Burrows Leahy and her Burrows relatives for information on Samuel and Harriet America (Shekell) Burrows and for the photo of Otho Burrows and his daughter, Myra Burrows Entwistle.
John Carmody for website design.
Lena Frumin, for sketches and other artwork used on this website and for her initial guidance, as THS began to plan a website.
Carolyn Long for her Armsleigh Park History and House Research Guide.
Susan McElrath, University Archivist, American University Library.
David Rotenstein, Information and graphics for Western Union Telegraph Co.
Diane Beaudin Sheahan (1942-1994) for collecting reminiscences from early AU Park residents and John Sheahan for sharing his late wife's collection.
Jane Waldmann for Tenleytown research and website content.
Paul Williams, Kelsey & Associates, Inc. www.washingtonhistory.com, photographs.
American University Archives: Murdock House, View from American University site/Fort Gaines, Site of American University 1890, Early campus skyline view 1917, Massachusetts Avenue crossing AU grounds 1912.
Sources for American University Park research: Helm, J. Tenleytown, DC: Country Village into City Neighborhood; Sheahan, D., unpublished research; Vertical files at Washingtoniana Division, Martin Luther King Library; Historical Society of Washington; Archives, The American University; Washington, DC Building Permits; 1897 Promotional brochure for American University Park; National Archives and Records Administration; Personal reminiscences, published and unpublished.
Funding for portions of the research available on this site was made available by the Humanities Council of Washington, DC
"Funds for the DC Community Heritage Project are provided by a partnership of the Humanities Council of Washington, DC and the DC Historic Preservation Office, which supports people who want to tell stories of their neighborhoods and communities by providing information, training and financial resources.
This DC Community Heritage Project has been also funded in part by the US Department of the Interior, the National Park Service Historic Preservation Fund grant funds, administered by the DC Historic Preservation Office and by the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities.
This program was supported through a Historic Preservation Fund grant administered by the National Park Service, Department of Interior. Funds were used for the identification, protection, and/or rehabilitation of historic properties and cultural resources in the District of Columbia. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, or disability in its federally assisted programs. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please write to: Office of Equal Opportunity, U.S. Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20240."