4308 46th Street, NWThe original subdivision named American University Park was an area of 54.367 acres and was platted in 1896 by developers J(ohn) D. Croissant and David D. Stone, Croissant. A first addition followed in 1897.
The area was part of the 1713 Friendship grant to Addison and Stoddert. The land on which the American University Park subdivision is located was part of the Addison holding and descended through that family to John Murdock, and then to his grandson, W. D. C. Murdock.
At the beginning of the Civil War, W.D.C. Murdock owned a tract of approximately eight hundred acres. Union forces cut much of the wood on this land for the construction of forts, perhaps nearby Forts Bayard and Gaines, and for fuel.
In 1865, land north and west of Murdock Mill Road was owned by Samuel F. Burrows and his brother Levi. The acreage, mostly farmland, to the south of Murdock Mill Road, including the site of American University, was subdivided by W. D. C. Murdock (District Book 1, p. 33) Though the nearby village of Tenleytown began to grow after the Civil War, the area that became American University Park remained rural and sparsely populated.
4308 46th Street, NW
4513 49th Street, NW
4528 Fessenden Street, NW
4540 Fessenden Street, NW
4601 47th Street, NW
4608 Davenport Street, NW
4612 49th Street, NW
4619 48th Street, NW
4622 Asbury Place, NW
4628 48th Street, NW
4701 Fessenden Street, NW
4716 48th Street, NW
4716 Asbury Place, NW
4722 Davenport Street, NW
4824 Brandywine Street, NW
4900 47th Street, NW
4901 47th Street, NW
4941 Butterworth Place, NW
About American University Park (and American University Heights)
American University
Locations of Early American University Park Houses
Murdock's Friendship
The Hilleary T. Burrows House
The Samuel and Harriet America Burrows House
Washington College of Lawcontent © 2026, Tenleytown Historical Society, unless otherwise noted