Mount Airy was the name of the land grant neighboring the original Friendship grant, east of what is now 41st St.
In 1892, two different developers named subdivisions “Mt. Airy.” Barry’s Mt. Airy covered approximately 8.5 acres on the west side of Rockville Pike (Wisconsin Avenue) and was bounded by Brandywine, River Rd., Rockville Pike, and a property line north of Chesapeake St.
Burkett’s Mt. Airy was located on the east side of the Rockville Pike (Wisconsin Avenue), and extended to Belt Road on the east, covering both sides of Davenport St. on the south and both sides of Ellicott St. on the north.
Several of the frame homes in both Mt. Airys remain.
content © 2024, Tenleytown Historical Society, unless otherwise noted