Citizen Heights Church (formerly Eldbrooke United Methodist Church) Washington, D. C.
- Name: The City Church (formerly Eldbrooke United Methodist Church)
- Year Built: 1926
- Architect: Howard W. Cutler
- Built By: C. H. Brooks
Eldbrooke United Methodist Church was established in 1840 and played a vital role in the history of Tenleytown. The handsome 1926 Spanish Colonial Revival building, situated at the corner of River Road and Murdock Mill Road adjacent to the Sears Building in Tenleytown, is the fourth Methodist church building on this site. The first church, called Mount Zion Methodist, was erected in 1840 and was rebuilt after the Civil War. A larger church was built there in 1899, and the name was changed to Eldbrooke, honoring community members Aquila Eld and Philip Brooke.
The church is constructed of steel and tile, with a red tile roof and textured stucco exterior. All of the exterior ornamentation is cast cement. The roof retains its original red tiles. The gabled façade is ornamented with a bas-relief in the multi-curved Spanish Baroque style. A square bell tower is attached to the front southeast corner of the building. The sanctuary contains numerous stained glass windows donated by and in memory of church members.
The building is not home to the Citizen Heights Church, which has embraced the history of its new home while adapting it to its own style of worship.
(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2008)