Yuma Study Center (Convent of Bon Secours) Washington, D. C.
- Name: Yuma Study Center (Convent of Bon Secours)
- Year Built: 1927
- Architect: Maurice F. Moore
- Built By: James J. Galvin
Erected for the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France, the building is an example of the late phase of the Italianate style.
The walls are one foot in width, and the roof is variegated green clay tile. Its function is clearly expressed in its style. The main block resembles a house and served as a residence for the Sisters.
The exterior of the west wing, which houses the chapel, looks like the apse of a church. A small campanile that served as a chimney joins the two parts of the building. After WWII, nursing evolved into a professional medical career and the need for nursing sisters lessened.
In 1966, the convent ceased operation, and the building was sold to the French Embassy and became the French International School.
From 1975 – 2000, the Oakcrest School occupied the building. Plans are underway to renovate and add on to the building that will house a women’s study center.
Received DC Historic Preservation Award for Excellence in Design and Construction in 2014.
(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic sites, 2004)