4426 Grant Road, NW Washington, D. C.
- Name: The Burrows House
- Built By: Thomas Paxton
According to local lore, Tenleytown resident Thomas Paxton built the three homes on Grant Road between Wisconsin Avenue and Fort Drive prior to the Civil War.
An 1864 US Corps of Engineers map indicates a group of three houses, with the designation “T. Paxton” next to them on the present site of the 4400 block of Grant Road.
Stonemason Tyson Burrows is believed to have acquired 4426 in the 1880s and to have added the extensive stonework, including stone columns, a stone end chimney, and a stone retaining wall, all quarried locally.