4543 Grant Road, NW Washington, D. C.
- Name: The Admiral's House
- Year Built: c. 1890
It is likely that this house originally was built as an L-shaped structure, like others on Grant Road.
In the 1940s it was enlarged and “squared up” to reflect its current boxy Colonial Revival-style.
One of the early, if not original, occupants was John Huhn, who operated a butcher business at Georgetown Market.
In 1946 it became the lifelong home of Admiral Raymond P. Hunter, who lived there into the 1990s.
Admiral Hunter is credited for successful US Naval efforts in the Pacific during the Battle of Guadalcanal.