Dunblane Washington, D. C.
- Year Built: c. 1818-1839
Dunblane is one of two extant nineteenth century estates in Tenleytown. It was likely built by Clement Smith c. 1818-1839 as a country retreat and was owned by a succession of prominent Georgetown residents. From the mid-1880s to 1892, the estate was the site of the Dunblane Hunt, an activity that engaged many prominent Washingtonians. In the early 1900s, the Sisters of Providence, founders of the Immaculata Seminary, purchased the property and used the building as an elementary school.
Dunblane is a two story Greek Revival style building with a pyramidal hipped roof capped with a central cupola. The precise date of construction, architect and builder are not known. The original structure is divided into three bays with a wider entry bay and two window bays. There have been additions; a two story wing on the east, probably mid-nineteenth century, a two story wing on the west built in the 1930s and a one story wing further west built in the 1970s. American University purchased the property in 1986.
(Listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 2011)