The Rest Washington, D. C.
- Name: The Rest
- Year Built: c. 1700
- Architect: Unknown
- Built By: Charles Jones
It is believed that the earliest house on this site was a log dwelling begun in 1700 by one Charles Jones.
Over the years the house was enlarged and by the early 1800s had evolved into a mansion.
Much of the construction would have been completed before building permits were required.
The property abutted that of Clean Drinking Manor in nearby Maryland, which was also owned by a Charles Jones, probably a relative.
The house is shown on the 1861 Boschke Topographic Map for which the field inspections were done in 1857-8.
By 1878 The Rest was owned by Mrs. A. Lyles (Ariana Jones Lyles) and remained in the Jones/Lyles family until 1920.
(Listed in DC Inventory of Historic Sites, 1964)