Circa 1760, John Murdock became the first property owner to reside on the Friendship tract when he built a frame dwelling south of the present Massachusetts Avenue.
His new home afforded a commanding view of the Potomac River to the west and south.
John Murdock was a descendant of Thomas Addison, who, with James Stoddert, received the original Friendship grant of 3,124 acres from George Calvert, Lord Baltimore in 1713.
John Murdock became deputy surveyor of Frederick County under Maryland Governor Horatio Sharpe and also served as a colonel in the Revolutionary War.
Colonel Murdock divided his time between his town house in Georgetown and his country estate, known as Friendship.
Murdock’s Friendship was demolished in 1925 to make way for the building that now houses the AU President’s Office.